Don’t you just hate it when you don’t know what to paint or draw or create?
I found myself in that situation today and thought I’d remind myself what I could do to reinvigorate my creativity!
- I keep a sketchbook with me at all times. Jotting down the ideas as soon as they come. If I’m stuck what to do I have a look through it.
- I play with different media – using the opportunity to try a new technique can really help spark an ideas.
- I go for a walk with a sketchbook taking time to stop and sketch anything which catches my eye.
- I looking through books and magazines. I found a really good book on abstracts recently “Painting Abstracts” by Rolina van Vliet and there are loads of exercises to help inspire creativity.
- I visit a real Art Gallery – seeing another artist’s work can stimulate an idea.
- I visit art websites and galleries online. Lots of sites such as Painter-online and Empty Easel have online tutorials. I might not wish to reproduce the image they demonstrate but they are a good source of advice and can be inspiring. Even if it’s only “I can do better than that!” It can be fun to do a subversive version instead.
- I rip up a magazine or seven and make a collage. BeIng surreal or funny if the mood takes me e.g. Kerry Katona’s head on K9’s body. Oooh, I like that idea!
- I doodle! Making a mark on a large piece of paper and fiddling with it. It helps free up your mind and sometimes you get a great idea for a project.
- I go out and take photographs. I play with exposure, cropping. Go in close and personal. Focus on details. Look for different angles.And so on…
- I got stuck with artist’s block here!!!!!!!! Then I remembered. I hoik out an old sketchbooks, flick through and pick one page. Then look at it upside down, sideways or squinting. I then sketch or trace some or part of an image. Using a limited colour palette, I paint the new sketch
In all this, I don’t worry about how it will turn out.
My advice? Look on it as an exercise. Be patient, inspiration will come.
So, which option did I resort to?
and here it is.
I’ve called it “Potential” I love brickwork, I might have said so before! I was playing with ideas to create brickwork and this sort of evolved. The signature as the artwork.
Been looking at too much conceptual art methinks!